Gwen the Rescue Hen (Paperback)
Winner of a prestigious Northern Lights Book Award, Gwen the Rescue Hen is the heart-warming story about a sharp-witted chicken that inspires compassion for animals.
Gwen has spent her whole life in a big egg-laying hen house, so she knows very little about what chickens can do (besides lay eggs, of course). A fateful tornado turns her world upside-down and sideways, landing her in a strange new place that's nothing like the hen house.
Using her wits and chicken superpowers, Gwen dodges danger at every turn until she finds safety and friendship with a boy named Mateo. Together they discover how extraordinary an ordinary chicken really is.
The book includes a bonus section called More About Chickens, where curious readers can learn that chickens have extraordinary eyesight, a complex language of 24 sounds, and are descended from dinosaurs, among other fun facts about chickens. Ages: 4 to 7
- 2020 Winner of the Northern Lights Book Award Honoring "Children's Literature of Exceptional Merit"
- Gwen is displayed in the California governor's mansion in Sacramento, CA, and part of the State Library's permanent collection.
- Teach Heart, which designs Humane Education curriculums for teachers, has named Gwen to its recommended book list.
- Named to seven "best books for kids" lists
- Part of a Texas school district's curriculum on where our food comes from